I have posted a recipe for chicory root "coffee" on Mamatouille before, but this is my 2.0 version. And it was much needed after one of our Beans burned his thumb with a hot glue gun in Sunday school this morning and consequently has not been a happy kid since. Now he's got his thumb wrapped in aloe and gauze, a Disney movie playing ("The One and Only, Genuine, Original Family Band" from 1968), and his cup of chicory and plate of chocolate beside him. (Mama's portion is in the above photo.)
For four folks you'll need:
- a mug's worth of dairy-free milk per person (I used organic soy)
- 6 tablespoons chicory root powder
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened dark cocoa powder (sifted)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- (next time, I'll also add a pinch of salt)
Add the milk to a pan and as it starts heating up, whisk in all the other ingredients till warmed through but before it boils.
Enjoy with a book, a family movie, or an edgy documentary, as each family member desires.
Post a Comment