Remember I discovered fresh shiso at my local Asian market a week or so ago? I used it in a made-up-on-the-spot shiso-kimchi shrimp cocktail sauce, and it was luscious: shiso leaves, kimchi, mayo, green onion, and fresh lemon juice.
I also found this lovely apple-shiso coleslaw recipe on Food52.
Only a few wee changes.
- 1/2 cabbage (I had regular green on hand), chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 c. finely chopped shiso leaves (I had red here)
- 1 large apple, julienned and unpeeled (used organic Gala)
- 1/4 c. apple cider vinegar
- 2 T. mayo (didn't have so used 1 T. cream and 1 T. key lime juice)
Mix it all in a big bowl, fridge it, and serve it with mashed sweet taters and baked salmon.
It's a lovely blend of tart, creamy, crunchy, cold, sweet, and herbal.