I knew as soon as I saw it that the exotic blend of spices would grab my tastebuds and never let go - and I was right. We ooh-ed and ahhhhh-ed over this - and our three-year-old even ate some!
What I did differently:
- Didn't use a chili pepper - just added some extra cayenne.
- Used my new microplane grater (thank you for the lovely White Day present, Stephen!) to grate some of the Vietnamese cinnamon that I won.
- I also used the grater to zest one of the lemons I used for the recipe and I added the zest into the meatball mixture, then used half a lemon in the sauce instead of a whole.
- Didn't have any powdered ginger so used all fresh.
- Used 300 g (about 3/4 pound) of meat instead of a whole pound and just adjusted accordingly.
- Served it on couscous with a side salad (splashed with grapefruit dressing) and some kabocha (Japanese pumpkin) baked with lemon, olive oil, salt, pepper, and parsley (recipe here - originally from Coffee and Vanilla).