I've been riffing on salmon cakes for yonks and I've finally hit upon a version that's Paleo, gluten free, and dairy free. And boy, it's yum. All four of us had happy mouths and tummies.
- 2 16-ounce cans wildcaught salmon (I mash it up with my fingers and crush the bones - great calcium!)
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 stalk celery, minced
- 1/4 red pepper, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 eggs, beaten
- enough sifted coconut flour for binding, about 1/4 to 1/2 cup
- Chinese mustard powder, to taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 T. mayo (suggested on can of salmon)
- 4 t. lemon juice (suggested on can of salmon)
- plenty of coconut oil
Saute your onion, celery, and red pepper in coconut oil till almost tender, then add garlic and finish browning. Watch that the garlic doesn't burn.
In a big honking bowl, combine the salmon, eggs, sauteed veggies, coconut flour, Chinese mustard powder, salt, pepper, mayo, and lemon juice. Form into patties and brown on each side in coconut oil. Drain on paper towels and serve with your favorite homemade coleslaw.
Devour. I know you won't be shy.
And I'm not even fishing for compliments.