Practical Paleo is my main inspiration for meals lately and this little sweet-and-sour number came from its luscious pages. (Even the kiddiewinks, especially the elder one, sit around and read it to find recipes for me to make. It's that yummy.)
This would be lovely accompanying your holiday meal as well.
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced (I chop mine in half and then cut it into half-moons)
- 1 T. coconut oil
- 1/2 head red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2-4 T. apple cider vinegar (I use 3)
- chopped fresh rosemary to taste
- salt to taste
- 1 green apple, cut into matchsticks (I leave the peel on when I buy organic)
In a large pot on the stove, saute the onion in the oil till soft, then add your reddy-purpley cabbage and cook it till it begins to soften as well.
Add the vinegar, rosemary, and salt and allow it all to soften together and the flavors to meld beautifully and fragrantly.
Add the apples and cook them until tender.
I'm a vinegar kid so this hits the spot every time, and the addition of rosemary is unique to me. I've made a variation of this for years, but with the rosemary it really makes me happy. And my eggs get goose bumps.