- panko, for the crust
- 1 16-oz. can wild-caught salmon (I sometimes use mackerel)
- garlic salt
- celery salt
- seasoned salt
- 2 beaten eggs
- enough self-rising flour for binding
Mix everything together except for the panko in a big bowl, shape into patties, and roll each one in panko. Fry in bacon fat in a cast iron skillet for maximum crispiness.
And don't forget the pretty purple slaw...
- 1/2 head purple cabbage, shredded
- 1/4 c. finely minced onion (or less)
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and diced
- 1/2 c. raisins
- 1 c. mayo
- 1/2 t. salt and 1/8 t. pepper
- 2 t. sugar
- 2 T. lemon juice
- 2 T. milk (I used almond milk)
Whisk the dressing ingredients together and then pour over the cabbage, onion, apples, and raisins. Mix gently and chill before serving.
Enjoy the warm crunchy fishy cakes and the cold snappy slaw--a perfect pair.