Our local butcher, Better Meat, always has pork shoulders in stock and I tend to make pulled pork in the slow cooker--so much easier than in the oven.
The dry rub is so, so yummy and I got it here, though I cut down the sugar and salt and don't add white pepper. It's peppery enough with the black stuff.
Make sure you marinate the pork overnight in the fridge with the spice rub.
We eat it so many ways--with polenta, or in quesadillas, and my new favorite is in romaine wraps with my purple-cabbage sriracha pickles. Oh, boy.
You get the fresh verdant cool crunch from the lettuce, the warm, sweet and fragrant pork, plus the sweet and spicy kick from those amazing pickles. Can't beat it with a stick.
Sunday, June 3, 2012 | Posted by Abigail (aka Mamatouille) at 2:10 PM
- about 1 c. chopped rhubarb (I used rhubarb from my friend's garden that I had frozen)
- a handful of frozen mixed berries
- a few squirts of key lime juice
- a dusting of flaxseed meal
- 2 bananas
- 2 navel oranges
- about 1 c. chopped purple cabbage (why do they call it red?)
- enough water to make it smooth
Blend and drink.
I don't have to tell you to enjoy! You just will. Trust me.
Posted by Abigail (aka Mamatouille) at 1:22 PM